Friday 6 May 2016

ARC REVIEW: SUMMER OF SUPERNOVAS by Darcy Woods

SUMMER OF SUPERNOVAS

Summary:
As the daughter of an expert astrologer, Wilamena Carlisle knows that the truth lies within the stars. So when she discovers a rare planetary alignment, she is forced to tackle her worst astrological fear – The Fifth House of Relationships and Love. But Wil must decide whether a cosmically doomed love is worth rejecting her mother’s legacy, when she falls for a sensitive guitar player hailing from the wrong side of the chart.

Debut author Darcy Woods explores love in all its complexities and how to best honor the loved ones who have passed before us, in a novel packed with both humor and heart.

Title: SUMMER OF SUPERNOVAS
Author: Darcy Woods
Source: Won an ARC in a Giveaway!
Publisher: Crown BFYR
Publication Date: May 10, 2016
Rating: 4.5 stars
Purchase:
Disclaimer: I won a free copy of this book in a giveaway! Thanks to Darcy Woods for my copy and the personalization.

This book was one of the cutest contemporary novels I have read in a long time. I loved the introspection of how people can hold so tightly onto something that they forget to live for themselves. I also loved that while this was about romance, when it came down to it, it was about Wil's love for her friends and family as well. 


I am such a sucker for cute romances, especially when people try to change their destiny or think their fate should be one thing, but it's really another. And that is what this book does really well. I liked that Wil clung to her beliefs so tightly that she almost missed out on a good thing because we all have certain things that we keep a mental list of in our minds that closes us off from what could be the best thing ever.

Reading this, I felt like Wil was a real person and I was living vicariously through her. She had her logics and her reasons and I was fully captivated by her and her story. I liked that even though she was conflicted in manners of the heart, she was a pretty black and white type of person when it came down to it. She wanted things done a certain way and ensured that they would be done that way.

The other characters were all well developed. I liked meeting them all through Wil's perspective but also seeing them in a bit of their natural habitat as well. I would have liked to see more of Grant's and Seth's friends because they seemed like an interesting bunch, but everyone we met seemed to have their own motivations and story arc. I definitely would have like to see more of Irina but only because she was everything I would ever want in a best friend and she embodies what I want to be when I grow up. 

I was a little iffy on the love triangle, especially because it was between brothers. I know it happens in real life but I just dislike when one brother is made out to be a shining star and the other a douchebag when in reality everyone is a bit of both. And I think that was my main issue: Grant was put up on a pedestal pretty much and Seth was a nice guy but so materialistic and very jealous and it just didn't sit right with me. I think I would have preferred if both of them had been nice guys and Wil just didn't feel the love for one over the other. But it still worked. I still felt all the same tugs toward both of them that Wil did.

I liked the use of astrology in this book. I liked that there was something that we could all relate to and see ourselves in. And if you haven't read your horoscope once, you're a liar. I am pretty curious as to what Grant's sign is and what his chart looked like, but I'm glad Wil didn't open it at the end. It's a bit of a mystery! I really recommend this one if you are looking for a cute contemporary novel that will also pull at your heart strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment